Candidacy Dream
My candidacy exam (essentially an oral exam on my project) takes place Monday afternoon. I've been purposely occupying myself with other work this week to take my mind off it, but last night my subconscious got its revenge. I had the oddest dream about the candidacy, in which my supervisor informed me that in order to fulfill all the requirements of becoming a full-fledged PhD candidate, I had to take two classes that I was missing: Gym and undergraduate chemistry. I distinctly remember having to go pick up my gym shoes (ugly white runners) from Carolyn, the woman in the English office who deals with supplies. The shoes were already paid for--it was merely a matter of trying them on for size.
At least it's not as bad as fellow student and Film 200 TA Orion (yes, his real name), whose sublimated stress about his exams next week has resulted in his dreaming about his love life. Rest assured that I did not ask follow-up questions when he told me that today.
2 comments:
Hey Mary Chan!
Jen C. here. You may remember me from such adventures as the Waterfront Warehouse, or Nintendo at James' Apartment.
I saw a cfp that immediately made me think of you. It's for a panel called "Keira Knightley and Jane Austen: The New Pride and Prejudice."
Not sure if that is totally up your alley, but there's more info on the conference itself here: http://www.uky.edu/AS/English/bwwc/index.html
Best of luck with school things -- sounds like you're doing great!
All best,
Jen
Hi Jen,
Thanks for the heads-up. You're the second person to call my attention to this CFP--I guess I've been pigeonholed! I don't think I'll have the time or energy to work on this particular panel since I've changed dissertation topics and have other avenues of inquiry to pursue. Nonetheless, it's great to see that popular culture Austen is still being examined. I'm reassured that there will still be a place for me once I'm finished the dissertation and want to get back to Austen work.
Post a Comment