End of an era?
Back in Calgary for Reading Week and Christine and I go out looking for a 24-hour Tim Horton's at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday. The first one we pass is dark, so we move on. The next one, in Westhills, is lit up, but the door is locked. Then I notice the sign on the door informing customers of a new policy where 24-hour Tim's are now open 24-hours in Drive-Thru terms only. The "dining rooms" (their term) are closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Is this a new, country-wide policy (non-AB readers, hollaback!)? Is this a result of not being able to hire enough people? Did all that money that paid for the snazzy in-store TVs leave too little for salaries and paycheques? Where will we now go for late night-sustenance and chatting in a well-lit, clean place where we won't get kicked out?
Hopefully this is only temporary (the sign did not say one way or the other). If not, it's the end of an era. I have fond memories of late-night hanging out in Tim Horton's in Calgary and Hamilton just chatting and destressing. This could be a change worse than switching to frozen-shipped goods and brewed tea.
4 comments:
Oh dear god, no. Tell me that's not true!
Even better was the sign begging people to apply for employment. You too can work there for $9/hour, extended benefits, dental etc. Sadly, on par or a little better than my art job from this summer, Mary.
BTW, I rediscovered your blog. Dear gosh, woman - I got a lotta reading to do!
-C
You forgot the offer of free uniforms. Free uniforms! All other job offers pale in comparison to the sartorial splendor that is the Tim Horton's uniform! Forget the PhD; Timmy's, here I come!
I didn't have to pay for my uniform at Superstore or at Williams-Sonoma... Though I'm not sure what parts of the Williams-Sonoma uniform I get to keep.
And if you're working at Timmy's do I get comp Timbits?
Post a Comment