Last days in London: May 13-15
Last days in London have been spent mostly playing tourist and going to museums and whatnot (how much do I love the Tate Modern?)
On Sunday (May 13) I made it to one more house, Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill House in Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, a western suburb of London. The house is an odd mixture of 18th century gothic and Victorian features due to the extensive renovations/additions of one of the inheritors. The house is about to close for a couple of years to undergo an extensive £8 million restoration back to its 18th century incarnation. It will be interesting to see how it looks afterwards.
Monday I went to the Tate Modern and walked down the South bank. Today I indulged my morbid side and went to the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons. Yes there were many specimens in embalming fluid. Also, 18th century criminal Jonathan Wild's skeleton. Tonight I'm going to see a late show at the National Film Theatre. And then tomorrow morning I get up early and head to Heathrow and fly home.
As is probably evident from the brevity of this post, I am ready to be home. London is great but I'd like to sleep in my own bed again and stop living out of a suitcase. Also, London has been rainy and windy (my umbrella is bent out of shape) for the last week. A little prairie sunshine would be nice.
1 comment:
The tate modern is fantastic. Did you see the design for the extension?
Anyway, Miami has been a bit windy and rainy too... it's still been about thirty degrees out, tho. Bwhahahah!
Post a Comment