Current and future (and future) reading
This
is The Secret History of Domesticity, all 873 pages of it.
It is shorter than Clarissa, but lacks those characteristics, such as plot, characters, conflict, which renders novels much easier to read.
This is a sample sentence taken at random from the middle of the book:
What dominates the modern idea of the aesthetic is instead one pole of this dialectic, a (therefore) frozen sense of concrete virtuality as monolithic and self-subsistent, virtual yet somehow posited with an idealized objectivity that needs no subjective stimulus.
And this is the modified Homer Simpson quotation that pops into my head whenever I pick the darn thing up.
Okay, book. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can go back to killing you with beer.
Can I interest anyone in a readalong?
1 comment:
Judging by the cover – the title and the artwork – the book looks interesting. Judging by your sample quote, I'd have to give it a big "hell, no."
Too bad. It could have been good, I think.
Post a Comment