Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bad culinary compromise

There's a dim sum place in Edmonton that, in a bid to appeal to its mixed clientele, uses a table setting that consists of chopsticks, a fork, and a large plate. That is the default table setting and I have to ask for bowls each time I go. The table setting perplexes and irritates me. I want to use chopsticks for dim sum, but chopsticks are not the best utensils to use with a plate. A bowl makes more sense because you can hold it closer to you when eating and also because you can bring it forward to the little basket you want to take food from. I suppose I could use a fork since that's the plate's logical utensil pairing, but then I would spontaneously combust out of shame.

So basically: why give us chopsticks at all if we don't also get bowls? And what's wrong with the traditional table setting of a bowl that sits on a little plate? And why not make forks the optional utensil?

I get that the establishment doesn't want to alienate its non-chopstick-using customers; I just wish they wouldn't condescend to everyone else at the same time.

No comments: