Saturday, July 29, 2006

Reading Report

Edmonton Fringe Festival Programs went on sale today so I made my way through the spitting rain to the Wee Book Inn where I not only bought two programs (one for me, one to mail to Jeff) but also (shocker) books. Ironically, the book that I'm excited about the most I won't be able to read because I promptly mailed it as a birthday present, and as the receiver has the URL for this blog, I'm not disclosing the title (surprise spoiled here). After the hot summer we've had in Alberta, today was cool and refreshing; it was a lovely walk home along Whyte Ave. and I felt immensely happy to live where I live, close to coffee shops and good restaurants and book shops and theatres (dramatic and film). Sure it's stressful and sure sometimes I wish I had a 9–5 job where I could leave work at work, but being a grad student has its advantages, such as being able to go out to run errands (and shop) in the middle of the afternoon.

Before you wonder whether I ever do any work, let me assure you that I just finished Charlotte Smith's novel The Old Manor House, reading from pg. 273–533 (or from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.). I've read so many long, three- or four-volume eighteenth century novels this summer that I'm not sure how I'd feel when I finally pick up something contemporary, something only 200 pages long with larger margins and more space between the lines. Ha! "Only" 200 pages. The mind boggles.

No comments: