Tuesday, June 17, 2008

when 2 out of 4 does not mean halfway

Being finished two out of four chapters does not mean that I am half finished the dissertation. The to-do list still includes:

  • chapter three
  • chapter four
  • introduction
  • conclusion
  • massive revisions
And there is the distinct possibility that chapters three and four will have longer word counts than the first two chapters (esp. four, my Austen chapter). According to my supervisor, dissertation chapters do tend to get longer the further into the process it gets. I've already embarked on that trend, with chapter two being about four pages longer than chapter one, even though the novel for chapter two was half as long as the novel for chapter one.

I have decided that trying to finish a dissertation is like chasing the horizon—it keeps receding no matter how hard you try.

No comments: