Monday, June 19, 2006

Oh, the places I'll go (Part 2)

Met with my supervisor today, who just got back from London and recommended more places that I should see:

Samuel Johnson's House
: Man of letters, author of the first English dictionary, subject of the English-speaking world's most famous biography (Boswell's Life of Johnson), he even had his own entourage.
The Victoria and Albert Museum: While the 18th century holdings are just okay, it should still be a standard stop for any academic researching British history.
Geffrye Museum: It's the Museum of Historical English Interiors, starting from 1660. How can I not go?
Dennis Severs' House, 18 Folgate Street, Spitalfields, London: Formerly owned by an eccentric artist, the house is done up in 18th century style with an emphasis of conveying the 18th century experience to the visitor. Looks kind of cool; certainly not historically accurate but a must-see (and apparently a must-smell, too).

More Robert Adam: Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. A country house with preserved interiors.

The list is growing. How long will it be when I'm actually finished all my reading?

4 comments:

Nicole said...

So! When you coming out!?

Anonymous said...

A must smell, huh? Does that mean I'm coming along? (Or will Nicole have to accompany you?)

Mary said...

I'm thinking of taking a trip out next May, if all goes to plan, and staying at least two weeks (ideally, closer to a month). It would be nice to go to Ireland, and France maybe. Look at me. Such plans!

Nicole said...

(Assuming I'm still here) I'll totally go look at old buildings with you. And... go shoe shopping on Oxford Street. Just saying.