Sweet Procrastination
Tonight, instead of reading more De Certeau, I decided to bake cookies.
The results, if I do say so myself, were quite good. I got the recipe from my friend Dave when he brought these to a bake sale we had in the department (we clearly have very sophisticated fund-raising events in English).
In other reading news, I read Sophia Lee's play A Chapter of Accidents today and can't help feeling that it was a waste of my time. The plot is frustrating, the characters underdeveloped and the emotional tone turns on a dime from despair to joyous to anger, etc. It's a mediocre example of "sentimental comedy", one of the most popular forms of theatre in the late 18th century. The one notable aspect of the play is Lee's interest in places where powerless women could be imprisoned by powerful men (a nunnery, a garret, the loft in a stable). I suspect that this will come up again in her novel The Recess, which I also have to read. In the case of the book, though, I fully expect prisons, since it's a gothic novel.
No comments:
Post a Comment