Stupid ants
Working at night during a heat wave leads to every window in my apartment being open. This is not a problem except for the bugs that inevitably make their way in and go straight for my desk lamp. Before I switched to compact fluorescent bulbs, this meant a lot of zapped bugs (incandescent bulbs get hot). They would fly, they would hit the light bulb, and they would drop like so many mosquitoes on a desk.
Compact fluorescent bulbs do not have a similar effect on many insects, including mosquitoes and some weird little green bugs. Tonight, though, I found out that flying ants are a little more sensitive to hot surfaces than their insect bretheren. They're not killed by the CF bulb, but stunned and unable to survive the rather significant fall from my lamp to my desk.
Which is all a long-winded way of explaining why I've been cleaning bugs off my desk all night.
No comments:
Post a Comment