Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Visits

As a result of several factors (stress/burnout, free ride back, extended family visiting, sister having time off work), I am in Calgary for a spur-of-the-moment visit/vacation. I arrived unexpectedly on Sunday in time for a late dinner, bringing no work back except some non-dissertation books and lots of knitting.

After dinner, while I was in a food coma and still getting out of a dissertation headspace, my mom asked me if I was available the next morning to go along with my parents and my aunt (who is visiting) to see my grandfather. I said of course. The plan was to see him and then go for dim sum.

It wasn't until later that night, when my dad confirmed the plan to see my grandfather and my grandmother, that I remembered—my grandfather is dead. He died last October. When my mom said "see grandpa" she meant visit his grave, which happens to be next to the grave where my grandmother is buried.

For my part, I thought mom meant visit my grandfather in his apartment in Chinatown and then go for dim sum. I think it was the dim sum that threw me, because I immediately thought "Chinatown" and then placed my grandpa there. It's not like I could have forgotten the funeral—I had to fly back early from a conference in Tucson to attend it.

I guess that's confirmation that taking this vacation was a good idea.

No comments: