Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ceasing Fire

I echo Kris' and Nicole's pleas to donate to the Lebanese Red Cross (or in my case, the Canadian Red Cross because I couldn't get the Lebanese Red Cross website to work for me).

Also, if you are so inclined, think about signing this petition for a ceasefire.

I counter all the talk about principled stands (Mr. Harper) and sustainable, long-term solutions (Mr. Bush) with two points:
1. Calling your own "measured response" response principled implies that anyone who holds a different view takes a stand that is not principled. It's a rhetorical device used by those whose opinions are in the minority and want to shore up their own position. Demanding an immediate ceasefire is also a principled stand; it's just one based on different principles.
2. An immediate ceasefire and a long-term sustainable solution need not be mutually exclusive.

I know the above comments are a little out of date, but they've been in my head for a while and I wanted them out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Ross' Awesome Music Blog"? Aww, shucks!

It's been weeks! I could ask how you've been, but then I could just read the blog!

Re: Israel v. Hizbullah: I've been reading http://billmon.org/ obsessively. The dude can WRITE, though it is fairly bleak most of the time. Still, he's convinced me that if there's no ceasefire soon, then things are gonna get REALLY bad. Worth checking out...

Ross