Monday, August 21, 2006

Fringe Fest

This weekend Jeff came up to go to the Edmonton Fringe Festival, second largest alternative theatre festival in the world, next to the monster that is Edinburgh. Despite (supposedly) studying, I did manage to catch a handful of shows with (and one without) Jeff. If any Edmontonians are reading this, do go see The Rez Sisters, a moving, well-written, well-directed play.

Some general things about the Fringe:
• Literally everyone and their dog comes out. We saw so many cute dogs on the Fringe grounds today. Didn't top last year though, when I saw a little puppy being pushed in a baby stroller.
• The number of cute puppies was rivalled only by the number of cute kiddies. This, I believe, is a phenomenon that happens at many festivals.
• I keep running into people that I know, including other grad students, my dept. chair, a professor, and a couple of people who used to live in my building. Oddly, I also ran into an old acquaintance from high school, but we didn't have a chance to talk since the performance was about to start.
• Living four blocks from the Fringe site rocks because you can go home during long-ish breaks between shows and use a non-porta-potty toilet.
• I took Jeff to a hat shop on Whyte Ave., but alas, it seems that Jeff does not look good in hats. Join the club. (The shop, called Head Case, carried a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker cap. Seriously? Who would wear that?)

My plan is to try to sqeeze in a few more shows between/after the studying (or is that squeeze in some studying between the shows?) before the week is out. The exams are only a week away, and yet I am as calm as... as... What finishes this simile?

No comments: