The Room
Today I got to take a look around the room that I'll be writing my exams in. The word "around" is a bit misleading, though, because the room is tiny, with three walls consisting of filing cabinets and one wall of large, floor to ceiling windows that looking into the Humanities building. There are random computer parts scattered around, interspersed within boxes of files. It's about 6 feet by 6 feet, cold (note to self: bring hoodie) and not very well lit. At least the chairs (two) are cushy, though old.
The room contains two computers, a PC and Mac. However, I would be writing on the PC (and the stupid PC keyboard). Grrr. I also get to bring food and drink with me, so the plan is to pack granola bars, water, napkins, wetnaps, chocolate and buy tea at school in my travel mug.
Now that I've seen the room, I think one thing I'm going to try to do this school year is lobby for a better room for future stressed-out sleep-deprived grad students to write their exams in. My dissertation, after all, is about space and how space affects its subjects. And I can't imagine a better test case than the thoroughly unpleasant room where we have to write our exams.
No comments:
Post a Comment